Cutting-Edge Ethical Issues in Psychotherapy
Presented by Frederic Reamer, PhD on 10-21-2016 at 9 a.m. Pacific (noon Eastern)
The field of psychotherapy is already complex and the ethical issues that mental health clinicians face change with the times. Standard ethics topics include boundary issues, dual relationships, conflicts of interest, confidentiality, privileged communication, the ethical implications of digital technology, informed consent, clients’ rights, termination of services, and impaired professionals, but how do therapists use textbook strategies to meet today’s cutting-edge challenges?
In this two-hour continuing education web conference, Dr. Frederic Reamer will move beyond introductory ethics concepts and explore difficult cases with practical strategies designed to protect individuals in therapy and clinicians. Dr. Reamer will share challenging ethics cases involving conflicting professional duties and discuss practical steps that professionals can take to manage ethical issues skillfully.
Dr. Reamer will discuss relevant ethical standards involving supervision and consultation as well as those relating to statutes, regulations, and case law. He will also focus on complex documentation issues while addressing ways to prevent ethics-related complaints, malpractice, and lawsuits.
This intermediate instructional level web conference is designed to help clinicians:
- Identify challenging ethical issues and dilemmas in psychotherapy.
- Apply practical ethical decision-making frameworks and protocols.
- Recognize ethical issues that pose malpractice and liability risks.
- Summarize relevant statutes, regulations, case law, and ethical standards.
- Design strategies to protect clients and practitioners.
If you have any questions or concerns about this web conference, or would like more information, please contact us contact us here.
How the Web Conference Works
Before the scheduled event, all registered attendees will be sent a reminder email from GoodTherapy.org with specific instructions on how to log in to the web conference center, as well as links to optional handout materials if applicable.
To attend the event, registered attendees will log in to the web conference center using a computer or device (smartphone or tablet with internet access) and calling in to the teleconference line on a phone. Attendees will be able to ask live audio questions via phone and/or submit text chat questions via their computer or device. Attendees who are logged in to the event center will be able to see live streaming video and/or document sharing. Alternatively, attendees may dial in to the teleconference line only, though attendees dialing in by phone only will be unable to ask questions.
At the conclusion of this event, participants will receive an email with information about how to request a CE certificate in the GoodTherapy.org Member's Area. To confirm attendance, participants must enter the start and end codes announced at the beginning and end of the live presentation. Attendees will also be prompted to complete an online survey evaluating the event. Attendees will need to complete this online survey within six days after the event. Once completed, attendees will be able to download a copy of their CE certificate instantly.
For additional information about this event or our CE grievance procedures, please contact us here.
All are available to GoodTherapy.org members at no additional cost.
Continuing Education (CE) Information
Two CE credits will be provided by GoodTherapy.org for attending this web conference in its entirety.
GoodTherapy.org is an Approved Education Provider by NAADAC, The Association for Addiction Professionals (provider #135463). Of the eight counselor skill groups ascribed to by NAADAC, this course is classified within legal, ethical, and professional development.
GoodTherapy.org is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEPTM) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements.
This organization, GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: March 30, 2016 through March 30, 2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive two clinical continuing education clock hours.
GoodTherapy.org is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content and is solely responsible for all aspects of the program.
GoodTherapy.org, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0395.
This web conference is available at no cost to GoodTherapy.org members.
This event has already taken place. An audio recording for this event may be available in the Member's Area.
Meet the Presenter
Frederic Reamer, PhD
Frederic G. Reamer, PhD has been a professor in the graduate program of the School of Social Work at Rhode Island College for over 30 years. His research and teaching have addressed a wide range of human service issues, including mental health, health care, criminal justice, public welfare, and professional ethics. Dr. Reamer received his PhD from the University of Chicago and has served as a social worker and administrator in correctional and mental health settings.
Dr. Reamer has been recognized for his outstanding contributions to the field of social work and was most recently given the Excellence in Ethics Award from the National Association of Social Workers this past year. He has served as an adjunct professor at the University of Pennsylvania, Tulane University, Simmons College, and Smith College. Dr. Reamer also chaired the national task force that wrote the current Code of Ethics adopted by the National Association of Social Workers.
Dr. Reamer has conducted extensive research on professional ethics and has been an essayist, host, commentator, and producer on several NPR and PBS programs. He has published 20 books and more than 125 journal articles and book chapters. Dr. Reamer’s most recent books include:
- Risk Management in Social Work: Preventing Professional Malpractice, Liability, and Disciplinary Action
- Social Work Values and Ethics
- Boundary Issues and Dual Relationships in the Human Services
* This page contains at least one affiliate link for the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, which means GoodTherapy.org receives financial compensation if you make a purchase using an Amazon link.
Continuing Education Provider Approvals
- GoodTherapy.org is Approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content. APA approval applies to all events listed after May 2011.
- GoodTherapy.org has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6380. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. GoodTherapy.org is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- This course has been approved by GoodTherapy.org, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #135463. GoodTherapy.org is responsible for all aspects of their programming.
- GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 03/30/2016 – 03/30/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 clinical continuing education clock hours.
- GoodTherapy.org, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0395.