Bad to the Bone: Can Our Genes Make Us Act Badly?
Presented by Barbara Oakley, PhD on 08-21-2009 at 9 a.m. Pacific to 10:30 a.m. Pacific (1:30 p.m. Eastern)
Modern science is helping us to finally begin to understand the partial genetic and biological basis of "bad" behavior. It's empowering for people to realize that some people act in hurtful ways in part because it's how they are neurophysiologically predisposed. (And that's not to say that such people can't change!)" Professor Barbara Oakley uses evolutionary theory, as well as the unusually adventurous background that has earned her the nickname of a "female Indiana Jones," to knit together disparate pieces of research that help us understand--and better deal with--some of life's most compelling problems.
How the Web Conference Works
In short, participants will join the teleconference by calling into the teleconference center and entering an access code. The teleconference will include lecture, interaction, and question and answer periods.
All are available to GoodTherapy.org members at no additional cost.
Continuing Education (CE) Information
1.5 CE credits will be provided by GoodTherapy.org for attending this web conference in its entirety.
GoodTherapy.org is also an Approved Education Provider by NAADAC, The Association for Addiction Professionals (provider #135463). Of the eight counselor skill groups ascribed to by NAADAC, this course is classified within counseling services.
GoodTherapy.org is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEPTM) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements.
GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. ASWB Approval Period: March 30, 2016 through March 30, 2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval. Social workers participating in this course will receive two clinical continuing education clock hours. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content and is solely responsible for all aspects of the program.
GoodTherapy.org, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0395.
This teleconference is available for free to GoodTherapy.org members.
This event has already taken place. An audio recording for this event may be available in the Member's Area.
Meet the Presenter
Barbara Oakley, PhD
Professor Barbara Oakley's work at Oakland University involves bioengineering in many different contexts. As a recent Vice President of the IEEE-Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, as well as the co-editor of Careers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology, Dr. Oakley has worked hard to help build a public understanding of the bioengineering profession. Her research work has involved the effects of electric fields on cells, and more recently, investigations of the complex relationship between neurocircuitry and social behavior.
Dr. Oakley has an eclectic background. Among many adventures, she has worked for several years as a Russian translator on Soviet trawlers in the Bering Sea during the height of the Cold War. She met her husband while working as a radio operator at the South Pole station in Antarctica; and she has gone from private to regular Army Captain in the U.S. military. Dr. Oakley's critically acclaimed, tongue-in-cheek titled book Evil Genes: Why Rome Fell, Hitler Rose, Enron Failed, and My Sister Stole My Mother's Boyfriend takes readers on a witty, provocative exploration of the darkest recesses of the human personality.
Continuing Education Provider Approvals
- GoodTherapy.org has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6380. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. GoodTherapy.org is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- This course has been approved by GoodTherapy.org, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #135463. GoodTherapy.org is responsible for all aspects of their programming.
- GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 03/30/2016 – 03/30/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 clinical continuing education clock hours.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0395.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0022 and for licensed mental health counselors #MHC-0031.