Different Therapy Approaches May Help Different Personality TypesJune 21, 2010
For those battling depression, both cognitive-behavioral therapy and interpersonal psychotherapy have long been recognized as very effective means of overcoming depression. A new study printed in the British Journal of Psychiatry and published on PsychiatryOnline.org shows that differing personality traits can affect how responsive people are to these two main types of therapy. The researchers wanted to know if certain personality traits made treatment less effective. Their conclusion: the success of interpersonal therapy seemed to vary based on the individual’s personality and temperament, while the success of cognitive-behavioral therapy showed no difference based on personality traits. This can help therapists further match clients with the best form of treatment not only for their struggles (e.g. depression), but their personality as well.
© Copyright 2010 by Barbara Grace Babson,LCSW, therapist in Salt Lake City, Utah. All Rights Reserved. Permission to publish granted to GoodTherapy.org.
The preceding article was solely written by the author named above. Any views and opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by GoodTherapy.org. Questions or concerns about the preceding article can be directed to the author or posted as a comment below.
Erin AshleyJune 22nd, 2010 at 4:32 PM
I agree that no single therapy approach will work for everybody but it is all about the human psyche and it differs from person to person which in turn is determined by a whole lot of factors…
minakoJune 22nd, 2010 at 4:34 PM
surely this recognition will lead to much better therapy choices between doctors and patients
Leave a Comment
By commenting you acknowledge acceptance of GoodTherapy.org's Terms and Conditions of Use.
Search Our Blog
- Judy: Wonderful and right on brother! Let It Be John Lennon said. Let me be, I try to tell myself!
- Rebecca S.: hey me again to ask…we are on line so…anyone know how to get into the e mail of the beloved if you’ve (i’ve!)...
- Rebecca S.: hi everybody. just came over… 1 am now…..to see if anyone else is sadder than sad and of course we all are… today i...
- Sara: Ella, you are absolutely right. In the situations that you describe, the suggestions of this article are not appropriate. Self-care is not...
- Sally: Listen, y’all. She asked for advice not WWIII over her boyfriend having kids. Personally, my own boyfriend has 3 wonderful children of...