Different Therapy Approaches May Help Different Personality TypesJune 21, 2010
For those battling depression, both cognitive-behavioral therapy and interpersonal psychotherapy have long been recognized as very effective means of overcoming depression. A new study printed in the British Journal of Psychiatry and published on PsychiatryOnline.org shows that differing personality traits can affect how responsive people are to these two main types of therapy. The researchers wanted to know if certain personality traits made treatment less effective. Their conclusion: the success of interpersonal therapy seemed to vary based on the individual’s personality and temperament, while the success of cognitive-behavioral therapy showed no difference based on personality traits. This can help therapists further match clients with the best form of treatment not only for their struggles (e.g. depression), but their personality as well.
© Copyright 2010 by www.GoodTherapy.org - All Rights Reserved.
The preceding article summarizes research or news from periodicals or related source material in the fields of mental health and psychology. GoodTherapy.org did not participate in or condone any studies, or conclusions thereof, that may have been cited. Any views or opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by GoodTherapy.org.
Erin AshleyJune 22nd, 2010 at 4:32 PM
I agree that no single therapy approach will work for everybody but it is all about the human psyche and it differs from person to person which in turn is determined by a whole lot of factors…
minakoJune 22nd, 2010 at 4:34 PM
surely this recognition will lead to much better therapy choices between doctors and patients
Leave a Comment
By commenting you acknowledge acceptance of GoodTherapy.org's Terms and Conditions of Use.
Search Our Blog
- Michael: Ha! Look at the parents, not the games. That’s where the problem is most likely to lie.
- jade: My instinct says that they will avoid it because they are embarrassed if they have relapsed.
- Evie: My beloved friends, I just tried to send a blog and hope this is not a repeat. Someone may need to hear this: this morning I was reading the...
- Jenna: This is awesome. I know that there are probably families that struggle with how this could effect them if they got pregnant so to know that...
- Logan: You are so right. We do not pay nearly enough attention to ourselves as we should, and just like with anything else. If we are not happy...