Different Therapy Approaches May Help Different Personality TypesJune 21, 2010
For those battling depression, both cognitive-behavioral therapy and interpersonal psychotherapy have long been recognized as very effective means of overcoming depression. A new study printed in the British Journal of Psychiatry and published on PsychiatryOnline.org shows that differing personality traits can affect how responsive people are to these two main types of therapy. The researchers wanted to know if certain personality traits made treatment less effective. Their conclusion: the success of interpersonal therapy seemed to vary based on the individual’s personality and temperament, while the success of cognitive-behavioral therapy showed no difference based on personality traits. This can help therapists further match clients with the best form of treatment not only for their struggles (e.g. depression), but their personality as well.
© Copyright 2010 by Barbara Grace Babson,LCSW, therapist in Salt Lake City, Utah. All Rights Reserved. Permission to publish granted to GoodTherapy.org.
The preceding article was solely written by the author named above. Any views and opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by GoodTherapy.org. Questions or concerns about the preceding article can be directed to the author or posted as a comment below.
Erin AshleyJune 22nd, 2010 at 4:32 PM
I agree that no single therapy approach will work for everybody but it is all about the human psyche and it differs from person to person which in turn is determined by a whole lot of factors…
minakoJune 22nd, 2010 at 4:34 PM
surely this recognition will lead to much better therapy choices between doctors and patients
Leave a Comment
By commenting you acknowledge acceptance of GoodTherapy.org's Terms and Conditions of Use.
Search Our Blog
- Marian: Or could it be that this study was simply biased against the NYT and unwilling to admit that there is actually some information in these...
- tyler: Thinking of ways that I can do more work to my schedule? lol heck no I am usually how to figure out how to get out of it.
- Annika: When I become pregnant I will definitely err on the side of caution and take as little medication as possible while pregnant and while...
- Will: Please, it sounds like this is something that you are going to hold against him and that is unfair. We raise these kids to grow up and to...
- carter p: One of the most helpful things for us as a family was to get all of our sons teachers on board with us too. They have been great at...